Sunday, August 19, 2012

Welcome to the Island School 21st Century Math Blogger! I have created this blog as a way to document my year as the K-5 math teacher!  The Island School's students are grouped multi-grade groups of K, 1-2, and 3-5. This will be such an amazing year and I hope you will stay tuned to my blog and make comments and ask questions along the way! I am looking forward to the journey ahead!!!

My first week of school at the Island School as the K-5 21st Century Math Teacher!

The whole week was very successful with breaking the ice of being back in school and Each group talked about rules and we came up with our own rules.

The 3-5 math group decided that rules were unfair and so they would like to not have any rules. We discussed possible outcomes of this decision but they agreed it would be better. So, as a way to show them that rules and directions are a good thing.

Lego Build! So we had a little hands on practice. The students were able to look at the picture of their finished project but wouldn’t allow them to look at the directions (because rules and directions are unfair.) They proceeded to build these creations without directions and I would like to note that it took 20 minutes one day and then 10 minutes the next and most still did not have them built and only a couple of them had them actually moving. Hmmm…shocking- NOT!

Proud of my cunning planning, I offered a challenge to continue my glee! Since they had now gained the background knowledge and practice, they would only get 5 minutes to rebuild their creation with the directions. Not surprising at all, almost every one of them had them put together and working properly!

The students all learned a priceless lesson about rules and directions that day and it is now an activity that I will plan to do EVERY school year from here on out! My only regret is that I didn’t have the video camera out to document the whole experience. It was definitely an effective and engaging lesson and it really excited and sparked the students about being back in school after a long summer off!

No comments:

Post a Comment